Wednesday, July 31, 2013

At hospital, checked in to start biochemo...

Spent the day doing misc. tests and getting a PIC line inserted. All is going well. Getting some IV nausea meds now. Chemo and bio meds to start in an hour or two. Anxious but feeling good. The kids gave me some little guardian angel stuffed animals. Reminds me of the kids :). Had a yummy turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and spinach. Feeling comfortable. Our nurse, Hong, is from China. Fun to speak Chinese with her.

Had to wait 2 hours for appt with Dr. Patel. She was on vacation last week so she's trying to catch up. Kristin and I watched Shawshank Redemption (one of my all-time faves) and eat pray love - loved the line in eat pray love "Ruin is a gift, ruin is the road to transformation."

Had a great nurse named Gladys from Columbia do my PIC line today. Very old school nurse. She was a fantastic communicator - both talking and listening - and just seemed to be a very powerful woman. Grateful for interactions and people like that. Those connections and comfort are priceless.

Was a little worried about a tickle in my throat for last 1.5 weeks, but it looks like my chest X-ray is clear. Irritating that every little thing that is weird with my body now has to be examined with melanoma goggles.




2 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed stage IIIc in 2003, and also underwent biochemotherapy treatments. I'm still healthy and showing no evidence of disease. It's rough stuff, but you can do this! Best wishes to you in the coming weeks and months. Rich


















    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very encouraging to here Rich. Thanks for sharing. 1 week down.... Just gotta put my head down and work through it. Take care and here's to commenting about this 10 years from now :)

    ReplyDelete